Equipping the Services with the best, cutting-edge weapon systems and platforms do not really achieve their intended purpose until the integral human component of the war machine is also optimized in terms of psychological, physiological and nutritional well-being, with life support systems and protection from all conceivable operational hazards. It is in this very theatre that a group of laboratories in the DRDO comprising the Life Sciences (LS) cluster are focusing their R&D efforts.
Right from the selection of officers and men for various types of jobs in the Armed Forces, promulgating optimized ration scales with provisioning of fresh and processed foods tailored to the Indian dietary habits and operational needs, developing acclimatization schedules for harsh terrain, specialized protective clothing, biomedical devices and protective gear, life support systems in hostile and challenging environments, countering strategies to overcome Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear(CBRN) threats.In addition to their detection, protection, decontamination and medical management of CBRN eventualities, psycho-socio-behavioral methodologies to cope with stresses, alternative systems/ strategies to enhance performance etc., all have been the contributions of these laboratories over the years.
Over the last five decades, the endeavors of Life Sciences Cluster laboratories have been instrumental in:
- Defending against and recovering from CBRN hazards
- Saving lives through life support systems
- Sustaining operations by customized nutrition
- Optimizing performance through human engineering approach
- Reinforcing adaptation through acclimatization processes
- Reducing combat stress by counseling & training
- Creating specialized human capital by selection & training
To be a leader in optimizing the performance and wellbeing of the man behind the weapon through translational research in life sciences
- Design and Develop State-of-Art Technologies to Protect the Warfighters
- To Equip the Soldier with High Performance Protective Systems to Enhance Combat Efficiency