Laser Science & Technology Centre (LASTEC), Delhi has its origin as Defence Science Laboratory (DSL) established as a nucleus laboratory of DRDO in 1952. In the beginning, DSL operated from National Physical Laboratory (NPL) building. Later in 1960, it was shifted to Metcalfe House. In 1970s the laboratory consolidated its R&D activities towards more specific and application-oriented areas, such as liquid fuel technology, spectroscopy, crystallography, system engineering. In 1982, the DSL moved to its new technical building in Metcalfe House complex and was renamed as Defence Science Centre (DScC). In 1986, the centre was made responsible for the development of lasers for directed energy applications as one of its major missions.
In 1999, because of the R&D thrust shifting to development of lasers and optoelectronics systems & related technologies, the laboratory was rechristened as Laser Science & Technology Centre (LASTEC). Advance Laser Research Laboratories (BHASKAR) building of Laser Science & Technology Centre (LASTEC) was inaugurated by Dr G. Satheesh Reddy, Chairman DRDO & Secretary DD R&D, on 14th February 2019. The building will house laboratories for research in various Laser Sources and laser applications work sphere.