Technology Group (Modelling and Simulation)
The Modelling Analysis and Simulation Group is responsible for the Design & FEM Analysis and Preparation of Engineering Drawings of Parts, Components, Sub-systems and Systems related to various projects of ADRDE. The Group is equipped with Software such as AutoCAD, Solid Works, CATIA V5-R20, Ansys Mechanical, ICEM CFD, Fluent, LS-Dyna, HyperMesh, MathCad and Bond Graph Modelling.
The Group performs the following functions
- Preparing, Modifying and Printing of Textile and Mechanical Drawings.
- Solid / Surface Modelling of Parts and Assemblies.
- Template Preparation for Fabrication of Parachutes and other Envelopes.
- Linear, Non-linear, Static and Dynamic Finite Element Analysis of Parts and Assemblies to determine the following:
- Maximum/Minimum Stress
- Maximum/Minimum Deflection
- Maximum/Minimum Distortion
- Safety factor
- Bond Graph Modelling and Simulation of Multi-Domain Systems.
Electronics & Instrumentation Lab
Electronics and Instrumentation (EI) section at ADRDE provides instrumentation support during Design & Development of Parachutes, Heavy Drop Systems, LTA Structures. Three types of Data Acquisition systems i.e. PC based Online Data acquisition system, Microcontroller based Onboard Data acquisition system and FM/FM Telemetry systems are being used during various trials.
Parameters which are being measured are
- Snatch, Opening & Steady force of parachute, ROD & Filling time of parachutes during air drop trials
- Impact measurement during In-house impact test and airdrop trials
- Burst pressure measurement of Inflatables
- Onboard videography to capture opening sequence of parachutes
- Strain measurement on metallic structures
Technology Development Group-TDTM
TDTM is involved in the development of high performance technical textiles, applied research and scientific studies to meet the requirements of all the ongoing and futuristic projects at ADRDE pertaining to Parachutes, Arrester Barrier Nets & Inflatables. Primarily, the group is engaged in the following areas:
- New textile product developments textiles for parachutes
- Development of coated & laminated fabrics for inflatables such as Aerostats, Airships, Radomes, Floats for helicopters & sea recovery missions, etc.
- UV and water resistant tapes for Arrester Barriers.
- Life estimation studies on fabrics, coated fabrics & narrow fabrics.
- Enhancement of functional properties of existing materials.
- Lightest version of canopy fabric in line with breaking strength available worldwide.
- Seams and stitches of all types of parachutes are optimized.
- Heat Setting Technology: Nylon and polyester tapes and cordages of rigging lines are subjected to patented (Indian patent no. 250813) heat setting process that improves the elastic recovery and thereby life in terms of number of jumps.
- High performance very light weight narrow fabrics developed from Dyneema, Spectra, Kevlar, Vectran, Technora, etc.
Arrester Barrier Nets
- Tapes and Webbings used in Arrester Barrier are given special UV resistant and water repellent finish to last for more than 04 years in extremely difficult environment.
Coated and Laminated fabrics
- Various versions of PU coated nylon fabrics for Aerostats of different sizes and variants of hull, fin and ballonet to meet requirements of project Akashdeep and Nakshatra. Various prototypes of PU coated fabric with optimized type of nano clay, carbon black and UV absorbers, various dispersion techniques and concentration done to improve UV resistance and gas barrier in PU coated fabrics.
- Five versions of PVC coated polyester fabric with required EM transparency, strength and weight for inflatable Radome has been developed.
- Tedlar and polyester film based laminated fabric having significantly improved life (approx. more than three times) over PU coated fabric has been developed recently.
- 03 version of Light weight PU Coated Nylon Fabric for Unmanned Small Airship Application has been developed.
- Neoprene, Bromo-butyl and combinations of coated fabrics with nylon, polyester, para aramid and Vectran base fabrics for Floats for helicopters & sea recovery missions, etc.
- Special three end leno fabric and three end leno with rib stop base fabrics for lamination have been developed first time in the country with modifications in existing weaving machines.
Other textile related technologies
- A customized impulse heat sealing m/c for joining Tedlar based Laminated fabric with features such as sealing head with water jackets, controlled and specific temperature cycling, pressure, time, cooling cycle, etc., has been developed.
- Unique inflation net for Aerostat developed that protects the balloon during inflation from any gust or wind.
- A customized outdoor exposure rack with innovative features of variable Uniaxial/Biaxial loading using mechanical advantage and provision for angle adjustment to estimate life of inflatable materials in simulated conditions.
Textile Test Lab
Textile Test Lab is equipped with modern textile test equipments to test various parameters of textile materials viz. fabrics, tapes, cordage, Sewing Thread etc. used in Parachutes, Balloons and Aircraft Arrester Barrier. The test machine includes high & low pressure air permeability machine for air permeability of various fabrics used in the development. Universal Testing Machines for determination of breaking strength of fabrics, tapes, webbing’s etc of different capacity using hydraulic & pneumatic grips upto 100 kN. Other machines available are for determination of twist and Tex/Denier of yarn, Thread Density, Digital thickness Tester, Visual inspection machine, GSM Cutter for fabric, Bursting strength of woven, knitted fabrics, digital bursting strength tester etc.
Mechanical Test Lab
Mechanical Test Lab of the establishment is equipped with different test facilities to carry out physical, mechanical and environmental testing of different components, sub system and systems used in different development projects viz. Air craft Arrester Barrier systems, development of small and medium size Aerostat for surveillance, Heavy Drop Systems and all parachute systems from development phase to acceptance for bulk production. Metal Test Lab is equipped with sophisticated, advanced and highly precise testing machines / equipments. Following testing are carried out at Metal Test Lab of ADRDE adopting national and international standards:-
- Tensile testing of metal components for determining proof load, breaking load and ultimate tensile load of metal components.
- Performance test of metal components in both tensile and compression mode.
- Compression load testing of different type springs viz. Helical spring, conical spring, conical spring with cone etc.
- Hardness testing of metal components.
- Plating thickness testing of metal components
- Dimension check of metal component
- Detection of surface flaw adopting NDT method
- Low and high temperature test
- RH testing
Test Facilities available at Metal Test Lab are
- Universal Testing Machine
- Rockwell Hardness Testing Machine
- Spring Testing Machines
- Digital Plating Thickness Tester
- Electronic Impact Testing Machine
Chemical Test Lab
Chemical Test lab is involved in chemical testing of various textile materials & metal components used in various projects related to Heavy drop systems, Emergency Inflatable systems, Arrester barrier, Surveillance system, Laminated/Coated fabrics and various kind of parachutes & allied technologies in ADRDE. In order to make fabrication/products better & reliable, these items are tested as per respective standard test methods (IS, BS, ASTM, ADRDE SPECIFICATIONS) before being used in the fabrication/application of different aerial delivery systems. Chemical testing of above said metal components & textile materials is an important for conducting various tests like material identification/chemical composition, pH value, Melting point, Colour fastness to light, Colour fastness to washing, Accelerated ageing, Permanence of finish, UVR /WR extraction etc.
Chemical Test Lab is equipped with the following instruments/machines
- Xeno Test Machine
- Direct Reading Emission Spectrometer
- Salt Spray Chamber
- Digital Washing Fastness Tester
- pH meter
- Plating Thickness Tester
- Soxhlet Apparatus
Flight Test Lab
Flight Test lab undertakes the certification of ADRDE developed products, based on testing of its various functional parameters in actual/simulated flight trials. The flight test section prepares simulated dummy loads and packing of parachutes. The group provide support in life extension trials on indigenously developed parachutes systems. The flight test lab has got qualified test jumpers from IAF, who are deputed on tenure basis. These test jumpers undertake the live jumps of ADRDE developed Parachutes leading to the final Airworthiness certification from CEMILAC.
Prototype Fabrication Wing (Mechanical)
Prototype Fabrication Wing (Mechanical) is equipped with conventional machines and have facilities of machining, Tool and Die Making, Press work, Integration of System/Sub System, Fitting, Heat Treatment, ARC and Gas Welding (Ferrous), Buffing and Surface Finishing and wood working etc. Wing is engaged in the development and fabrication of Tooling, metal component, system integration, appliances/ machines repairing and maintenance, modifications of components as per design and preparation of test samples for chemical analysis. This group act as support group for fabrication/modification and integration for various project in ADRDE.
Prototype Fabrication Wing (Textile)
Prototype Fabrication Wing (Textile) is involved in fabrication of parachute and related components.
For any project at ADRDE, first few prototypes are developed in PFW(T) which are used for trials and qualification of parachutes. PFW(T) has sophisticated machines namely lock stitch sewing machines, heavy duty lock stitch sewing machines, medium and heavy-duty zig zag lock stitch sewing machines, chain stitch sewing machines, single needle and double needle machines and grommet fitting machine.
Technical Information Centre
Technical Information Centre (TIC) is a Vital Part of Aerial Delivery Research & Development Establishment (ADRDE). It is centralized place to maintain & upgrade the information /Knowledge by safe keeping technical books, journals, standards, reference books, design data reference books, periodicals, design reports & Specification etc and to provide quick & smooth access to scientist, technical staff and other personnel.
TIC at ADRDE maintains technical collections of almost all fields in the realm of science, engineering and technologies including special collection related to our own R & D work. It has a collection of more than 16500 technical publications, books etc in order to meet ADRDE requirements. E-Journals like, IEEE (Complete) and Jane’s Publishing Group can also be accessed from any of the ADRDE internet PCs. ADRDE is also providing e-services viz. e-journals & e-books to ADRDE Scientific fraternity in association with DESIDOC Delhi.
Photo & Video Lab
Photo & Video Lab is a technical support Group to provide following support during trial events of various projects of establishment