Gas Turbine Research Centre (GTRC) took its birth at No.4 BRD Air Force Station, Kanpur in 1959 with 8 Engineers / Scientists and about 20 Technicians.
First indigenously developed centrifugal type gas turbine engine of 1000 kg thrust was tested in 1961.
GTRC was moved to Bangalore, brought under the banner of DRDO, and was re-named as GTRE in November 1961.
Re-engineering of RD-9F engine, a candidate power plant for the HF-24 aircraft was carried-out in association with HAL. 1700 K Re-heat system developed for Orpheus 703 engine.
Research in the 1970s
Reheat for Orpheus 703 Engine was type certified as air-worthy in December 1973. Series of research projects carried-out on engine optimization studies mostly related to development of advanced components and systems such as transonic compressors, annular combustors, high temperature turbines, catalytic ignition systems, control systems etc.
Development in the 1980s
GTRE proceeded to design and develop the GTX series of engines with flat rating concept which was successfully demonstrated.