Armaments Research Board
DRDO is promoting innovative/basic research among Academic and Research Institutions across the country through Grant-in-Aid schemes of Research Boards and Dte of ER & IPR. Under these schemes, grants are offered to research organizations/universities/departments/laboratories to carry out research in basic sciences and engineering, setting up of basic facilities/infrastructures and conduct of conference/seminars/ symposia/ workshops etc
The "Armament Research Board (ARMREB)" was constitutes in 1997 for promoting innovative/Basic research useful for armament discipline. Armament being a complex multi-disciplinary field involves ballistics, aerodynamics, materials and metallurgy, mechanical and electronics engineering, opto-electronics, computer techniques, explosives, pyrotechnics, modeling, simulation and system analysis. Five research panels covering the entire spectrum of Armament disciplines operating under the Board to make it more effective.
There are five laboratories in Armament Clusters namely; ARDE and HEMRL located at Pune, TBRL, PXE and CFEES are located at Chandigarh, Chandipore and Delhi respectively. A wide range of research facilities are available with these laboratories.
Enlarge the scientific community in the Armament discipline by harnessing and nurturing research talent available in the academic/research institutions and to develop expertise/technologies in the field of Armaments to meet the national needs of defence & security.
To enhance the intellectual level, physical infrastructure and scientific understanding in the field of Armaments to counter the future challenges of defence and national security.
Objectives of ARMREB
To foster knowledge-based growth of Armament
discipline in the country, strengthening and
integrating national resources of knowledge, know
how, experience, facilities and infrastructure
To catalyze the much needed cross-fertilization of
ideas and experiences between DRDO and outside
experts in scientific and technical fields that
contribute to armament technology.
To launch and coordinate research in specified
areas of armament discipline in academic
To create conditions suitable for attracting talent
through research collaborations and other academic
exchanges and adopt synergic approach towards
national needs and priorities in the field of
Armaments in the global advancements.
To adopt synergic approach towards National needs
and priorities in the field of Armaments, yet keeping
in focus the Global Advances, in order to develop
competence in Key Areas.
To lead the Technological Innovations useful for
Combat Multiplier both for the near term and future.
Charter of ARMREB
To support basic and applied research applicable
to armament discipline
To review and approve, research proposals
submitted by Academic Institute.
To set funding pattern and funding methodology
for the research panels of ARMREB
To decide on specific research programmes of
individual projects exceeding Rs 25 lakhs or
involving major civil works
ARMREB will exclude funding of development of
OBJECTIVES OF RESEARCH PANELS
To undertake and promote imagination driven
research work in the Armament disciplines to create
novel/approaches and materials.
To promote upstream Research & Development
activities at Academic Institutions/R&D
To train manpower of requisite quality for
undertaking/pursuing research in the relevant field.
To act as catalyst for seeding futuristic
technologies at identified Institutions.
To help in creating self sufficiency in critical
technologies needed for development of competitive
armament stores and put the armament discipline in
the forefront in the global scenario.
To create data base on specific and allied
fields of armaments discipline.
ACTIVITIES OF RESEARCH PANELS
To create new understanding on new materials and
To promote research activities leading to the
growth of Armament technologies for the future needs.
To scrutinize project proposals and make
specific recommendations to ARMREB.
To monitor, evaluate and guide the sanctioned
projects/ schemes at suitable intervals and to make
recommendations to the ARMREB.
To identify gaps in R&D efforts and recommend
methods for bridging them in the best manner.
To create data base on specific and allied
subjects related to the panel
|Dr SK Salwan
P-26 civil officers welfare society,silver oak
mob : 8800098750
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
|Dr Satish kumar
DS & Chief Controller (TM)
DRDO HQ, DRDO Bhawan
New Delhi - 110 011
Tel : 011-2301 3476
Fax : 011-2301 3472
E-mail : email@example.com
|Sh SK Rastogi
DRDO HQ, DRDO Bhawan
New Delhi - 110 011
Tel : 011-230O 7307
(A) RESEARCH PANEL 'HIGH ENERGY MATERIALS (HEM)'
Mr P Venugopalan - chairman
Former Director, DRDL
Dr. Raja Ramanna DRDO Chair, C/o DRDL Kanchanbagh PO
Tele:040-24583917 , Mob :9849000226
Dr Seema Kakade, Scientist 'G' - Coordinator
HEMRL, Sutarwadi, Pune - 411 021
Tele: 020-2586 9293,Mob : 9422635004, Fax : 020-2586 9293
THRUST AREAS OF PANEL 'HEM'
SYNTHESIS OF NEW CLASS OF MATERIALS
- Strained poly-nitro-cyclic compounds (bicyclic, tricyclic, polycyclic).
- Poly-nitro aromatics & hetero aromatics.
- Compounds with mixed functional grounds (nitro, azido, nitro, amino).
- High temperature nitration.
- New high-energy binders and polymer materials.
- Photo-synthesis, laser induced and microwave initiated reactions.
- Nano materials for High Energy Systems.
PROPELLANTS & EXPLOSIVES
- Propellants with high burning rates and explosives with low vulnerability.
- Pulse detonics engine.
- High combustion / detonation efficiency.
- Stability & aging aspects.
- and disposal of aged propellants and explosives.
- Techniques for safety and hazard investigations.
- Life prediction of propellants and explosives.
- Biodegradation of High Energy Materials.
- Studies on composition of reagents and yield enhancement of new HEMs.
- Reproducibility of techniques and standardization.
- Software development for explosives, propellants and pyrotechnics.
- Model studies to determine the efficiencies of systems and prediction methods
(B) RESEARCH PANEL 'ARMAMENT SENSOR & ELECTRONICS (ASE)'
Dr. K. Gopakumar - Chairman
Chairman, Department of Electronic System Engineering(DESE)
IISc, Bangalore 560 012
Tel :080-22933089, Mob: 9448227853
Email : : firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs.VS Tamhankar, Scientist 'F - Coordinator
ARDE,Pune- 411 021
Tele :020-25865100, Mob: 9422319615
Email : email@example.com
THRUST AREAS OF PANEL ASE
- RF Sensors based on CW, FMCW or pulsed system.
- IR Micro Wave & Millimetric Wave System
- Laser system for height sensing.
- System with inbuilt intelligence for target discrimination.
- Incorporation of ECCM features.
- Power Source
- Small size turbogenerator
- Reserve batteries
- Primary batteries
- Electro Mechanical Sensors
- Seismic Sensors
- Electro impulse generator
- Acceleration sensors
- High g sensors
- Electro Potting Material
- Silicon and Resins
- Polyurathene foam
- Study of electrical & mechanical properties during storage and high g environment
- Wireless Technology
- Remote setting of electronic timer
- Remote activation and deactivation of electronic system.
- Telemetry and guidance system
- Design Reliability
- Reliability of single shot systems
- Modeling and Simulation
- Signal Processing
- Digital signal processing of real time systems.
- Building intelligence into systems
- Motor Drive Electronics & Control
- Simulation and modeling.
(C) RESEARCH PANEL 'MATERIALS FOR ARMAMENT APPLICATIONS (MAA)'
Prof GVS Sastry - Chairman
Head of Dept, Metallurgical Engineering
IT-Banaras,Hindu University, Varanasi - 221 005
Tel :0542-2369478, Mob: 9450791187
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr B Praveen Kumar, Scientist 'D' - Coordinator
ARDE, Pune- 411 021
Email : email@example.com
THRUST AREAS OF PANEL MAA
- Advanced Study of Materials
- Behaviour at high strain rate
- Low temperature impact properties
- Mechanics of material behaviour
- Development of New Materials
- Ultra high strength metallic materials
- High impact properties at sub zero temperature
- Advanced Composites
- Metal matrix composites
- Polymer matrix composites
- Light Weight Materials
- Special aluminum alloys
- High strength low density alloys
- Titanium alloy
- Nano Composites
- Materials Processing Technologies
- Power Metallurgy
- Liquid Forging
- Near Net Shape Forming
- Advanced Manufacturing processes
- Filament winding for long barrels
- Strip Lamination process for Rocket Motor Tubes
- Flow Forming Techniques for Rocket Motor Tubes
- Metal Injection Moulding
- Surface Engineering
- Special Coating Technique
- Tribological Processes
- Smart Materials, their use and Development
- NDT of Materials
(D) RESEARCH PANEL 'COMBUSTION DETONICS & SHOCKWAVES (CDSW)'
Prof K Ramamurthy, Visiting Professor - Chairman
Dept of Mechanical Engineering, TDCE Lab
IIT, Taramani, Chennai - 600 036
(Tel) 044-22574704, Mobile : 09444139330,
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Shri AK Kapoor, Former Director - Co-chairman
CFEES, 4275, Ist floor, Sector-23A
Email : email@example.com
Shri AC Sharma, Sc 'F' - Coordinator
TBRL, Sector-30, Chandigarh-160 030
Tel: 0172-3957111, Mobile : 09417377308
Fax : 0172-2657506
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
THRUST AREAS OF PANEL 'CDSW'
- Initiation of Explosives
- Overdriven Detonation Waves
- Equation of State of Explosives
- Hazard Assessment, Sensitivity & Safety Related Responses
- Advanced & Novel Experimental Techniques
- Dynamic Shock Loading of Materials
- Blast Damages, Effects & Scaling
- Mechanical Properties of Explosives
- Micro Detonics
- Detonation in Gaseous Media
- Combustion studies
(E) RESEARCH PANEL 'ARMAMENT DESIGN MECHANISM AND BALLISTICS (ADMB)'
Dr B Sivasubramonian - Chairman
Group Director, SATG, STR Entity
VSSC, Thiruvananthpuram-695 022
Tel : 0471-2565610, Mob : 09496090085
Email : email@example.com
Sh. Harikrishanans, Sc 'F' - Coordinator
ARDE,Pune- 411 021
Tele : : 020-25865240, Mob: 9423582643
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
THRUST AREAS OF PANEL 'ADMB'
- Fin & Flap deployment & control mechanisms
- In flight Para deployment & detachment mechanisms
- Dispensation & Ejection Mechanisms
- Fuzing & Safety Arming Mechanisms (Pyro as well as DC motor driven)
- Ballistic fairing opening mechanisms
- Aircraft weapon release and separation mechanisms
- Pilot safe ejection mechanisms
- Micro mechanisms for fuze & senor application
- Ammunition handling systems
- Auto feed mechanisms
- Recoil mechanisms
- Gas operated for weapon automation
- Servo control systems for alignment of guns
- Internal Ballistics (funs & Solid rocket motors)
- Launch dynamics & Intermediate ballistics
- External & Aero Ballistics
- Hydro/ Underwater ballistics
- Terminal ballistics
- Problems related to Ballistic Meteorology (surface & upper air measurements)
- Hypervelocity projectile in bore and external ballistics
- Noise suppressors and flash eliminators
- Reliability modeling & prediction for various mechanisms & systems
- EM propulsion – Hyper velocity gun & projectile design
- Systems for high pressure artillery guns
- Composite Sabot design
- Design of high L/D (>24) rocket systems
- Design of high L/D (>25) KE Penetrators
The following useful formats are given at Appendixes
||Nomenclature of Format
||Application for submission of project proposal
||Addendum to project proposal
||Application for financial support for conduct of Conference/ Seminar/ Workshop/symposium etc.
||Statement of Account and Utilization Certificate
||Assets/equipment acquired under project (Form GFR 19)
||Military Receivable Order (MRO)
||Trends in armaments